Back to top

What will the changes mean for you?He aha te pānga o ngā panonitanga nei ki a koe?

Who will deliver my three waters services?

If you currently receive your three waters services from your local council, from mid-2024 those services will be provided by a new water entity which will provide services for Tairawhiti-Gisborne and Hawke’s Bay. 

Boundaries ten water services entities

When will this happen?

From 1 July 2024. Until then, your council continues to provide your three waters services as they do now.

Will I still have to pay for three waters services once the new entity takes over?

Yes. The new entity will bill you directly.

What will I pay?

Under the new system, Government has projected that over the next 30 years the costs will look like this.

Council Without reform (2054) With reform (2054)
Central Hawke's Bay District Council $9890 $4010
Hastings District Council $8150 $4010
Napier City Council $4880 $4010
Wairoa District Council $20860 $4010

Source: Department of Internal Affairs

However, there is currently no indication of what your three waters services will cost from 1 July 2024.

Once three waters services are no longer the responsibility of my local Council, will my rates go down?

If you receive water and/or wastewater services from your council, then you should expect that your council rates will reduce when three waters services are no longer the responsibility of the Council.

Will my council rates go down by the same amount as I pay to the new entity for my three waters services?

No, because:

  • The new entity will set its own fees and charges which may be different to what your council was previously charging
  • Costs are increasing for councils across all services – it is likely that the amount your council needs to fund all of the other services that it provides will increase and this will be reflected in your rates
  • There are some costs that councils currently incur in providing three waters services that won’t transfer to the new entity. These are costs such as support services, rent, electricity and other overheads. These are called “stranded overheads” or “stranded costs”. Councils will get some funding from the new entities to cover these stranded costs, but only for the first two years. In some cases, the funding may not cover all of the stranded overheads a council may have, and so the difference may need to be added to council rates.

How will my interests be heard and represented to the new water services entity?

The water services entities will be required to directly consult with their customers, residents and businesses on their investment priorities, prices and charges through their council and through other consumer and community interest forums.

Who will I call if something went wrong with my service?

Once the new water services entity is operating, it will be responsible for service calls, in the same way that your local council currently is.

What will happen to my council once it is no longer responsible for three waters services?

Your council will continue providing all of the other services it currently delivers. This includes things like roading, parks, housing, libraries, pools, alcohol licensing, dog control, building consents, resource consents, environmental health, support for business, and so forth.

Have Your Say Hawke's Bay - Copyright © 2023 Three Waters Hawke's Bay

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Three Waters Hawke's Bay to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Three Waters Hawke's Bay shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Three Waters Hawke's Bay cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Three Waters Hawke's Bay - / +64 6 000 0000 /